Saturday, March 3, 2012

Images of Venice

I'm taking a class at the Vero Beach Museum of Art entitled Images of Venice (teacher is the wonderful watercolorist Joel Johnson!) so I have been obsessed with images of canals, buildings, light and shadow, and boats.
This particular canal reflection scene was taken from one of Joel's photographs, and everyone in the class was required to paint it. I am not very happy with the dullness of the scene and plan to revisit this scene (once the class is over) with my own take on it - I have played with the photo in Photoshop and made it into a sunny day with lots bright brights and dark darks - should be fun!

The first painting in this post is one I did at home while taking this class. It is from one of my own photos, and Joel chuckled when I told him where I had taken the shot - in Epcot!
I painted this image of gondolas at rest from the cover of the Viking River Cruises catalog (changing it a bit here and there). I hope to go to Italy in the fall of 2013 (saving my pennies!!!!). I want to visit northern Italy, perhaps begin in Tuscany and move across to Venice - want to go with me?!

Hope your day is going well and filled with happy times,
Chris

1 comment:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

These are gorgeous Chris!!! I just love the colors!