Monday, May 2, 2011

Just something I made

Just thought I would share with you something I made a while ago - like maybe a couple of years! LOL! It is a handkerchief holder that I hang on my bathroom door. I got the idea from Amanda Soule of Soulemama blog fame.  I cut a length of fabric 12 1/2 by 15 inches. I  hemmed the two 12 1/2 edges and then folded each end to the middle right sides together. I laid a piece of folded ribbon across one end and  stitched across each end and down a bit on the center opening. I turned the holder right side out and inserted a piece of cardboard 6 by 11 into the holder, and ironed it flat. I then filled it with handkerchiefs. Amanda Soule does not iron hers - she just launders them and puts them in so the family can pull one out whenever - but I am a bit more anal and so I wash them in the machine, line dry them, and then iron them. I lay down one, lay one to the right half way, fold over the first one, then lay one to the left half way, fold over the second one, and so on - similar to the way tissues are packed in boxes so when you pull one out, the next one peeks its end out.
I love the soft feel of vintage cotton or linen - so much more soothing and environmentally friendly than Kleenex or Puffs or Scotties or..........

Hope you are having a wonderful day!
Chris

4 comments:

Hanneke said...

Oh that's so clever, love it!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh what a great idea!! I loveeeeeeeeeee it! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Marit said...

Love, love, LOVE IT!!! I'm a 'hankerchief-ironer' too! I love the flat, dry, clean-smelling pieces of cloth and the neat stacks in the closet!

EverydayMe said...

totally love this!!! {{hugs}} Michelle