Saturday, February 26, 2011

A paint and mist experiment

Yesterday I had a few minutes before I had to go to work and I went into the studio to play a bit - I gessoed this book cover (I often use plain book covers from old hard back books for my canvases - I get them for 25 cents or even free sometimes, there are 2 covers, back and front, and it's a lot cheaper than buying canvases), then sprayed it with 3 different mists - this is what it looked like when I finished spraying and tilting
I thought it looked very ethereal - like mountains in the mist. Unfortunately, when I tried to enhance the differential and make the mountains a bit more clear, I ruined it so I just remisted and left it to dry. When I returned home, it was a totally different canvas with a completely different story - I will post my mixed media piece tomorrow - it is all laid out now (I needed to get some dried grasses and leaves from my yard) but I need to glue it with gel medium.
I came across this wonderful old book yesterday at work - just a dollar - it was calling my name and begging me to alter it so..................

I discovered a brilliant singer Lisa Gerrard through http://amermaidintheattic.blogspot.com/ and will try to get one of her cd's at the library this afternoon. She did the incredible music for Gladiator (I didn't know that - we were cruising when it came out and actually didn't see Gladiator until we came back to the US but I loved it) and I love her mysterious lyrical style - words and yet what language? 

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend. I am recovering very nicely (but the stitches always look so gruesome - just call me Sally*).



*The Nightmare Before Christmas - one of my favorite movies!

5 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwww! I love love love how that turned out!!! And LOVING those peacock feathers on that book!!! WOW! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Heather Jacob said...

looks very intriguing your experiment .... cant wait till I see the finished product, your work is so inspiring and yummy .... I keep old book covers too and use them as altered journals or affirmation books.. I am working on one at the moment and will post it in a couple of weeks when finished ... love your style .. hugz x

Deana said...

Hope you are doing ok, Chris...it appears we are all on the mend this weekend! ;-)

Cynthia said...

What a beautiful color of blue/green! The church in the valley book is a beautiful cover:) Can't wait to see what you come up with for sure:)

I loooooove the gladiator soundtrack:) I am off to check out her other stuff! Thank you:)

EverydayMe said...

you do such wonderful work.... and I too think they look like mountains in the mist... lovely just lovely!!!
{{hugs}} Michelle