Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Blue Christmas and something springy

I have been quite busy creating the past couple of days. I finally finished all of my Christmas presents on Monday and mailed them after work yesterday -whew!!!!! I had already finished all of my DT work last week so now I am just playing - yay!!!!! I did the above wallhanging for the Let's Get Shabby challenge blog - I used some Harlee-quinnz Designs Butterfly Gardens "Garden of Beauty" paper, wet the edges, and then molded it into the embroidery hoop. The doily is vintage and the flowers are mixtures of Making Memories, Heidi Swapp, Joannes, and American Crafts with vintage buttons as centers. The bear buttons are porcelain, and the glitz is old Heidi Swapp. the photo is a Waterford crystal ice bucket filled with white silk flowers on my dining room table last Christmas.
I did this layout just for fun last night using the colors for the Candy Shoppe Designs Bold and Beautiful challenge - fuschia, yellow, white, and black along with big alphas. I have been doing so much fall stuff and now Christmas stuff that I just had to do something spring-like. I am working on a daffodil painting and this is one of my reference photos. The journaling reads
"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome." - Anne Bradstreet (a wonderful poet who lived in American colonial times). Isn't this an apropo statement for today - as they say, history doesn't repeat itself but it rhymes! The ruffled flowers are tissue paper, the background paper is SIS (purchased this fall when their paper was 10 cents a sheet) and the fuschia die cut paper is old Autumn Leaves . The die cut flowers and leaves are Basic Grey from last year.
I finished my watercolor class today and am trying to catch up on the Tim Holtz tags plus make some decorations for my house. I saw a wonderful felt deer on a website and I have drawn a pattern to make it as well as a small felt tree. I also want to make some little "Putz" houses for my village (photos to come) and maybe a small button wreath. Then I need to get some cookies made - Dan wants Scottish shortbread from his grandmother's recipe, Brian wants chocolate chip (for Christmas???), and I love meringue cookies and macaroons but neither works well in the Florida humidity so I will probably make some iced cut-outs and/or cookie press cookies.
thanks for reading and ttfn

17 comments:

Jenneke said...

WOW Chris, your hanging is absolutely gorgeous!!!! I've enlarged the picture and couldn't stop looking at it!! LOVE the colors, the flowers and the photo! And I LOVE a blue Christmas!!!

Thanks so much for playing along with us at Shabby!!!

And I LOVE your other layout too, beautiful colors!
Can't wait to see what you're going to create next days!!!

XXXJenneke

PS. It's a sunset ;-)

jacque4u2c said...

That is the most gorgeous plaque I have ever seen!!!! What a fantastic idea!!! I always love coming by your blog and checking out your awesome talent!!!

Julie said...

just simply stunning chris love all those flowers. thanks ever so much for playing along with us at shabby.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! Chris!!!! These are AMAZING!!! LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE the shabby one and loving the colors on the lo!!! Just GORGEOUS! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

ann said...

So beautiful I love blue for Christmas

mandysea said...

Ooooh those blues!!! Gorgeous photo. This is sooooo pretty and texurised!!
Thanks so much for playing along with Shabby!

mandysea said...

Ooooh those blues!!! Gorgeous photo. This is sooooo pretty and texurised!!
Thanks so much for playing along with Shabby!

Deb said...

Your wallhanging is stunning. The colours you have chosen are beautiful.

Hanneke said...

I love that wallhanger, so gorgeous!! And the LO, I know what you mean I've been making a lot of fall and Chrisymas LO's and wanted to make something different this weekend!! Love that quote!!!

And all those cookies sounds so delicious!!!

Deana said...

OMGoodness... I so ♥ BOTH projects. Both so cute & colorful!

All the cookies sound yummy! I say make what everyone likes, whether it's Christmas-y or not! :-)

Thanks for the sweet comment (as always!). I probably could stand to take a yoga class. I took one about a year or so after Bryn was born, but had trouble getting into relax mode. I was so used to doing cardio classes & that's just so opposite. Anyway, if you have a link to that video you use, I'd ♥ it. Maybe I can start with that at home & then work in a class at the Y sometime, too! :-)

Big hugs!

Jane Smith said...

Ohhhhh.....I love your Blue Christmas wall hanging for the LGS challenge. Just stunning!! XX

Anonymous said...

That blue Christmas hanging is marvelous!!! OH MY, you're one creative lady. You surprise me every time I visit!!! Have a nice weekend Chris!

Anonymous said...

wow Chris!!!! wow and wow!!! No words!! just wow!!

Timcso said...

Wow, absolute stunning!! Beautiful the colours and the flowers!!:)

Thanks for playing with us at Shabby!

Hugs, Tímea

Chimene said...

So so beautiful!!!!
I love the blue colors!!
Thanks for playing along with us at Shabby!!
xxxx
Chimene

zandra said...

Love your take on the challenge!
Hugz, Z

Maria said...

Your Blue Christmas wallhanging looks wonderful....